Runner's Block

They say 'a picture is worth a thousand words' if this is true then these two pictures just about sum up my last marathon.


This first picture is of my pre-marathon breakfast. I had three pieces of bread left in the house and I managed to burn all three! This picture is symbolic of my feelings of being underprepared for this marathon. You see I found it very hard to find the motivation to train for the 2018 Melbourne marathon.

I had just returned from my Great Australian Adventure when I decided to enter Melbourne and although I had done a lot of running on my holidays, it had just been for fun. Anything over 10 km was a struggle, and I had serious doubts that I was going to get enough long runs done in time.

In a bid to find some motivation on the 30th August I decided to unpack all my running medals and trophies and display them on my bookshelf to remind me of my passion for running and inspire me a bit.

Pure and simple, a roadblock has appeared. You're at an impasse. Consider how you can move through frustration, surrender to the idea that there may be another path for you.

The visual inspiration seemed to work and on the 1st of September, I completed a 32km run. Now it did take me 3:19:40 to run, but the main thing was that I had done it and now felt confident that I was back on track.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. The next week rolled around and my longest run was 14km and the following week I had plummeted down to 10km!!!

I sat down on my couch one evening and thought to myself, maybe this is it, maybe I have lost my... Mojo!

How could this be!? I love running, it has been the highlight of my life for the past 3 years, so why now is it seeming so hard?

Naturally, I turned to the google to try and find some answers to my running woes and lost Mojo.

In my search, I discovered an array of interesting, educating and downright funny articles about people who had lost their will to run and their attempts to get going again. Just as I was about to call it a night I came across the article that gave me hope - An Idiot’s One Month Marathon Training Programme.

Jules Ehrhardt is the self-proclaimed idiot who, as the name suggests, decided to run the New York City Marathon after completing just 4 weeks of training and having never run more than 6 miles in his life.

He ran it in 4:24:39 and went on to run many more!

Well, I thought to myself, if Jules can run his first marathon after just 4 weeks of training surely I can get myself prepared to run my 17th marathon in the same amount of time. With this newfound inspiration and hope, I raced to bed so that I could get up early and go running.

And run I did! The following week my training km's went up to 80km and I even smashed out a tidy 21km run in 1:44.

Running Mojo was back! The return had filled me with confidence, so much so that despite my lack of training I decided to throw in a two-week taper just for good measure.


The second picture is symbolic of me overcoming my running block and remembering to just get out there and run happy. This picture was taken as I was running up Dallas Brooks Drive in the 39km.

I'd never go far as to say running a marathon is easy, but I think when you find your running Mojo then it does become a lot more enjoyable and ultimately that is what gets you through.

I completed marathon 17 in my second fastest time of 3:31:55, and more importantly, I reignited my passion for running.

Happy running x

Comments