A Marathon a Month

Two years ago I was introduced to the concept of Gross National Happiness (GNH) in a uni lecture. It was literally one of those ‘ah ha’ moments that Oprah used to talk about on her show.

The lecture went a little like this, "with his famous declaration in the 1970s, the former King of Bhutan confronted narrow and materialistic philosophies of human progress. He blatantly pointed out that the existing development paradigm – Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – did not consider the ultimate goal of every human being: happiness. The King declared that GDP was neither an equitable nor a meaningful measurement for happiness, nor should it be the primary focus for governance (AMEN); and thus the philosophy of GNH was born. This revolutionary vision of GNH has guided Bhutan to a balanced ‘middle road’ in which equitable socio-economic development is integrated with environmental conservation, cultural promotion and good governance."


It was a Thursday evening class, Perspectives on Environment and Sustainability, and it had been a demanding work day so my brain was feeling pretty mushed, diverting its attention all over the place. But as soon as it heard about this cool King who created GNH it was all like ‘You had me at Happiness’.

It all sounded really good but I did have my reservations - when anything sounds too good to be true it usually is right?

So I went home and did a little research on this King of Bhutan and GNH and what I found was a wealth of information that lead me to all sorts of wonderful articles and webpages. It was kinda like when you start looking at someone’s Facebook page and then 5 hours later you somehow are looking at pictures of their brother’s mate’s Dad’s sister’s hairdresser's puppy photos - I mean it was that good and by the end I wanted to convert to Buhdism and move to Bhutan!

So to cut a long story short on why, in my opinion, GNH is a better way of measuring how well a society satisfies the major concerns of people’s everyday life I have broken it down into four key points.

1. Happiness is a more comprehensive measure of wellbeing. It takes into account a range of concerns while GDP is limited to one aspect of the economic side of life, the output of goods and services.

2. The evaluation of happiness is made by the people whose wellbeing is being assessed. For GDP, the judgement on wellbeing is made by outsiders, so-called “experts”.

3. Happiness is a measure with which people can personally identify. GDP is an abstraction that has little personal meaning for individuals.

4. Happiness is a measure in which each person has a vote, but only one vote, whether rich or poor, sick or well, old or young. Everyone in the adult population counts equally in the measure of society’s wellbeing.

The aphorism that money isn’t everything in life, applies here. If only happiness could supplant GDP as a leading measure of societal wellbeing, public policy might perhaps be moved in a direction more meaningful to people’s lives.

And now I know you are sitting there thinking ‘what the hell has this go to do with running – mojo’. And here it is – all this happiness talk essentially lead me to think about what it is that makes me happy and gives me my Mojo?



I would have thought that the answer would be an easy one, but actually, I found it really, really hard. So I did what I always do when I don’t know the answer to something… I asked ‘the google’.

Turns out that not being able to put your finger on exactly what makes you happy is not uncommon. 

You see, we’re actually a little confused about the whole idea of happiness. We tend to think of it as an intangible, yet weirdly concrete, thing – it takes us forever to track it down, but once we get it, we imagine life will be everything we always dreamed of. Sound familiar?

The truth is, happiness doesn’t work like that. The constantly sunny dispositions that we are bombarded with on a daily basis through media and advertising are actually – god forbid- not real and only add to our confusion of what happiness is. Seriously you don’t need much to make you happy, you just need the right stuff for you.

That’s why it’s important to identify things that make YOU happy and embrace them.

So, how do we start adding the happy to our lives?

Easy – JUST DO IT – it’s as simple as that (clearly Nike advertising has had a long term impact on me and I shall seek professional help if the problem persists). What I have found is that all that motivational stuff actually starts to work – if you let it. The harsh reality is that no one else is going to care as much about your life or happiness as you. They’re not jerks – they’re just busy taking care of their own lives.

So, decide. Are you a do-er or a don’t-er?

On reflection of my past 12 months I have realised that I am at my happiest whilst running. And so it is that I have decided to be a do-er and take on the Marathon-a-Month challenge in 2017.

 I am so excited about this and have been busy planning my itinerary and stepping up the training to ensure that my body is ready.

The plan is to run 12 Marathons around Australia and New Zealand to raise money for The Green Belt Movement and inspire a whole bunch of people along the way. The first one kicks off in 50 days’ time and will take me to Tasmania where I haven’t had the pleasure of visiting yet but I have heard great things!


Happy running x

Comments

  1. I completely agree. Which is why I find it ironic that my hated of running is the reason why I run. As a tall overweight kid in high school I loved team sports e.g. rugby, but hated the running. Every rugby practice would start with a 2.5 km run through the park, with a big hill included. It even put me off playing my first year. I struggled on those runs, but I had a coach that motivated me with "Just keep moving, even if it's a slow jog, don't stop." My hated of running is what motivates me to keep running, to run a marathon, to run every day, to get better at what I hate. Good luck on your marathons. You'll smash them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob and thanks for sharing what inspires and motivates you to run. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. Your both great inspirations and thankfull that I've had the chance to know and run with you both. P.s I'm sitting in a cabin in Torquay the night before my first offical trail race. Can't wait and hopefully will make it to Auckland with u Mojo next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! And well done on the trail run - You smashed it :)

      Delete
  3. I am so looking forward to following this journey Zoe, I hope I will make it to some of them to support you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment