West Coast Glory

Dom Sheed snatched the 2018 premiership for West Coast with his late goal with less than two minutes remaining against Collingwood at the MCG.

The win reminded me of a couple of things.

Firstly, I hadn't written about the time that I decided to run the Perth Marathon with less than two weeks notice.




And secondly, that tomorrow I will be running out on to the MCG to receive my own medal for completing my 17th marathon.

Well, at least I hope I will be! 

I am feeling a little underprepared for the Melbourne marathon. The last time I ran anything over 32 km was at the Perth Marathon, and to be honest with you, my motivation to run anything over 10 km at the moment is about zero.

However, I have committed to running the Melbourne Marathon and once I commit - that's it - I am in and there is no going back.

Will I finish it - you bet. 
Will it be a PB - anything is possible. 
Will I have fun - absolutely!

The Melbourne Marathon was one of the highlights of my marathon a month project last year. I had a dream run and ran a 15 minute PB.

Its best described like playing football on your home ground. 
It's familiar, you don't have to travel, all your supporters will be there and you have an overwhelming sense of pride when you take the field - the home ground advantage.

In comparison, my last marathon was about as far away from home as I could get - The Perth Marathon.
I had planned on running the marathon last year however the logistics and cost of getting there made it to hard, so I opted to run the Traralgon marathon instead. 

When I realised that I was going to be in Perth this year at the same time the marathon was on I couldn't get the idea of running it out of my head. Unfortunately, I only had two weeks to prepare, and while I was running some great parkrun times, I hadn't done any long-distance running.

Nevertheless, I wasn't going to let this stop me. So with just two weeks to train I signed up.

It was my first time in Perth and I really liked the city so running the marathon was a wonderful way to see it on foot. The city reminded me a lot of Melbourne, and the marathons even have some similarities. The start of the Perth Marathon is outside of the newly built Optus Stadium - Perth's equivalent of the MCG.

Did you know: The Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) has taken a proactive approach to make the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) one of the greenest sports stadia in Australia.  The commitment to making the MCG a world leader in sports stadium sustainability is a notable achievement given that the ‘G’ is Australia’s largest sporting venue. In 2018 the MCG became the first sporting venue to close the loop on organics recycling, with waste produced at the stadium treated in-house via an organics dehydrator.



However, my run wasn't quite as good as the Melbourne Marathon. I was a bit too enthusiastic starting with the 3:30 pacers which was fine for about 10 km but, given my lack of distance training, it was not sustainable.

I made the call at the 11 km mark to slow down, settle into the run and just enjoy it. After all, I was on holidays. I managed to finish in a reasonable time of 3:43:20 and place 22 out of 197 women and most importantly I had a fantastic day.




So while I do feel a little underdone for my target pace of 3:30 tomorrow I have decided not to worry about that. I am going to go out and run with my heart and soul because even though my legs have not trained for this my heart and soul certainly have.

As I sit here and finish of this latest blog I am so excited for what tomorrow brings that it feels like Christmas. I can't wait to share in the magic that is the Melbourne "Midday Miler" Marathon!

Happy running x

Comments