The Grand Finale


I've read in numerous goal-setting guides that once you achieve a significant goal, you will not be the same person you were when you set out on the journey. Apparently, the process of achieving your goal and the experience you have gained will change you.

The change is not just a tangible change in your body. It is the journey that has given you improved discipline, resilience and willpower. The long hours you have worked, the risks you have taken, the fear and uncertainty of whether it was going to work... these things all change you.

But for me personally, I don't feel as though I have changed. If anything the year of running has made me more confident in being who I am, and with that comes the realisation that I actually don't need to change.

You see, everything I needed to achieve my goal, I already had within me. All I needed to do was - just do it.

I didn't once doubt my ability to achieve my goal, and I think herein lies the formula to my success.

I dreamed big, I made a plan, I devoted many hours, I surrounded myself with like-minded people for support, and I put my heart and soul into it. I put one foot in front of the other, kept plodding along, and eventually, I reached my goal of running a marathon a month while raising $3,700 for The Green Belt Movement.

Perhaps the change is that now I have absolute faith that little by little, I am making progress, even if it doesn’t always feel that way, and that I can succeed at anything if I just stick to the task.

Earlier this year I wrote about the three things that running marathons have taught me about life;

1. The mind is a very powerful thing. If you can train your mind to keep going even when your body wants to quit, you can achieve some incredible things.

2. The most gratifying experiences usually come as a result of enduring the most painful trials, and

3. Your friends and family are your biggest supporters.

The final marathon couldn't have been a truer confirmation of this for me.

Firstly, I achieved some incredible things that I wouldn't have been able to achieve without the mental toughness that running has given me.

Secondly, the year was not without its painful trials, yet it will be a year that I always remember and hold dear to my heart.

And finally, my biggest supporters were all there as I crossed the finish line to cheer me home, and 9 of them had even run part of the marathon with me - Lisa, Rich, Elmo, Chris, Ingrid, Mel, Joe, Red and Bec. 

This was just amazing and I can't even begin to put into words how that made me feel.

When I was organising the final marathon I knew I needed to recruit some help for the day. Initially, I thought if I could get two or three people to come along then I would be set.

So, to say I was overwhelmed with the turnout on the day would be an understatement.

We even had a pre-run BBQ and beers to celebrate thanks to my friends from work Emma, Scott and Matt.

I can't thank everyone enough who helped me achieve my goal, and not just for the final marathon, but for all my running.

Thanks to Lisa for reaching out to me at parkrun, and sharing in so much of the year. From giving me her watch and a copy of Kathrine Switzer's book, Marathon Woman, right up to running with me for the first 21 km of the last marathon - Thank you.



Thanks to my cousin and coach Adam. From giving me my running name, for introducing me to the Thursday run club, for showing me all the great places to run in Melbourne, for pushing me to be a better runner, and above all else, having such a wonderful soul that, still to this day, sits on my shoulder whenever I run asking me how I am feeling, and reminds me to smile and have fun - Thank you.



Thanks to Elmo, who as I write this is sending me a message to come run with her! Thank you for all your pre-run hugs, the laughs and mostly for sharing your first marathon experience with me at the Melbourne marathon - it is a day I will never forget - Thank you.



Thanks to JC, who I met on my first run with the Melbourne Midday Milers. Thank you for pushing me to run to my best ability,  making me feel so welcome at the club, checking in on me and even yelling at me to run faster - Thank you.



Thanks to everyone at the Midday Milers, Maribyrnong parkrun and Thursday run club. Now that I have finally finished reading Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall, I truly appreciate and understand the importance and benefits of running in a pack. You are my pack, and you provide endless support and inspiration to me - Thank you.


Thanks to Rich who came along for many of my lunchtime training runs, and rode the whole final marathon with me. Thanks for being such a great running buddy and I hope you get some new runner soon so you can come running with me again (I miss you) - Thank you.



Thank you to the wonderful people I met along the way. To Tom, Dale, Kerri and Tash.

Thanks to Sister of Mojo, Katie, for being my big sister. Thank you for being my social media manager, for bringing your beautiful family out to support me on my runs, thank you, Andy, Jemima and Eli for all your support too! Thank you for looking after Matilda when I was away running and she couldn't come, thank you for making me laugh and see the funny side when my doctor told me I had bugs in my tummy and a wenckebach heart, thank you for making grandma's slice for my final marathon and for being my little face - Thank you.



Thanks to Sister of Mojo, Sally, for being my big middle sister. Thank you for being my chief banana woman and travel manager. All your organisation ensured I never had to worry because you had it all under control. Thank you for running the 5km race at the Orange marathon. You provided me with the inspiration to get through a very challenging race, so I could see you run. Thank you for providing me with big belly laughs (remember the time you kicked the duck) and lifetime memories on our New Zealand adventure, we really are lucky we have each other - Thank you.



Thanks to Dad of Mojo for being my Dad. Thank you for your endless enthusiasm and excitement about my running adventures. Thank you for helping plant my marathon tree, and making it grow. Thank you for introducing me to the 'google' and all the other fun things you say that provide me with many laughs - not to mention writing material. Thank you for making my finishers trophy and for your beautiful words at the end of my marathon - Thank you.



Zoe always says that’s another marathon in the bag.

About 12 months ago Zoe said she was going to run 12 marathons, and I thought she was crazy, but she stuck to her guns and ran the whole 12.
Sometimes I think running a marathon must get pretty lonely out there, it’s pretty amazing all the friends she has made along the way, so now I don’t think it is lonely at all. Well done Zoe.

- Dad of Mojo

Thanks to Mum of Mojo for being my Mum. Thank you for being my biggest supporter in everything I do. Thank you for our matching Mojo family outfits, for all the marathons you come too. Thank you for getting me to the end of the City2Sea all those years ago and instilling in me the importance of finishing what I start. Thank you for running your first parkrun.  I am so proud of you - Thank you.



And finally, thanks to Matilda. Thank you for providing me with daily inspiration to not only run but to run happy - Thank you.



Happy running xx



Comments