The Heath's do the O'keefe

The North Wind and the Sun had a quarrel about which of them was the stronger. While they were disputing with much heat and bluster, a traveller passed along the road wrapped in a cloak.

"Let us agree," said the Sun, "that she is the stronger who can strip that traveller of his cloak."

"Very well," growled the North Wind, and at once sent a cold, howling blast against the traveller.

With the first gust of wind, the ends of the cloak whipped about the traveller's body. But he immediately wrapped it closely around him, and the harder the Wind blew, the tighter he held it to him. The North Wind tore angrily at the cloak, but all her efforts were in vain.

Then the Sun began to shine. At first, her beams were gentle, and in the pleasant warmth after the bitter cold of the North Wind, the Traveler unfastened his cloak and let it hang loosely from his shoulders. The Sun's rays grew warmer and warmer. The man took off his cap and mopped his brow. At last, he became so heated that he pulled off his cloak, and, to escape the blazing sunshine, threw himself down in the welcome shade of a tree by the roadside.

Gentleness and kind persuasion win where force and bluster fail

This is the moral in Aesop's Fable, The North Wind and the Sun. I read it often in primary school, and it's one that comes to mind when I think about my mission to inspire others to run.

For me, running has changed my life. I love running, and I will tell anyone that will listen about how much I love running, the benefits it has brought to my life, and how much happier I am because I run.

But, at the same time, I get that not everyone loves running.

So, my approach to inspiring others is not to give them a "howling blast", but rather just to go about my running and "shine."

The two people in my life that I wanted to shine brightest for are my Mum and Dad.

They are my two biggest supporters, and it's fair to say that we have been through a lot - the good and the bad.

After I started my running project last year, A Marathon a Month, Mum started walking nearly every day. She said to me, "I think about you running while I am out there walking, and I think about how far you run, so walking is the least I can do."

I knew that soon enough she would be running, and sure enough, she was!

On the 7th April 2018 my Mum, Anne Heath, ran her first-ever parkrun!!!

I was over the moon.

I even turned into that pesky North Wind and was blasting everyone with jubilation.

Leading up to this, however, was a series of wonderful events.

On the 17th March 2018, I received one of the best messages from Mum, and it read;

I was thinking I might go in the
 5kms at Heathcote. Doesn't
start till ten and will finish 
before you get back so could
see you a few times on the way
and then go do that and watch
you win (thumbs up)

Then I received the best message from Mum;

Do you think if Dad did it too
we could take Matilda

Now I know you're probably thinking I am excited at the thought of Matilda getting to run in the 5km. And to be honest, I was, but I was even more excited about my Dad going for a run.

Of all the people in my life who I wanted to inspire to run - It was Dad.

It took me 33 years, 14 marathons, 4 half marathons, 51 parkruns and a whole lot of shine, but I got there in the end.

And on the 22nd of April 2018, Mum, Dad and I all ran in the O'keefe Challenge.


I had a cracking run in the marathon. I ran my second fastest time, took out 3rd place for the women and even won $100.

But the real winners on the day were Mum and Dad.


They both took part in the 5km run and Dad even came third for the men.

There was a bit of confusion at the presentation and they read out Dad as the winner. We were so proud of him, but most importantly he was proud of himself.

I can't remember the last time I have seen him with that big a smile on his face.


At the end of the day though, it doesn't matter if you come first or last in a run. 

All that matters is you have fun and enjoy yourself.

So the next time you hear your mind saying 'no' to a run, why not try a little bit of gentleness and kind persuasion to get out there and shine.

Happy running x

*Dad went on to run his first parkrun on 28th April 2018 and brought a pair of runners the following week.

Comments