The Melbourne 'Midday Miler' Marathon

Rise and shine it is marathon time!

Its 5.25 am Sunday the 15th October and I am awake and sitting in the kitchen eating my Vegemite toast. Matilda is looking at me with wishful eyes – unbeknownst to her, this would be the first of two occasions today where I would not be granting her wishes. Sorry darling, but this is all mine I say as I savour the last mouthful of buttery sourdough crust.

As I slip into my running Guernsey I take a moment to reflect on all the marathons I have run this year. It brings a smile to my face, and I feel a sense of pride of all I have achieved so far, and excitement for what lies ahead.

I often get asked which marathon has been my favourite so far, but it is hard to pick because they have all been so different. However, there is a special feeling in the air today, something magical is going to happen. 


I dare you to train for a marathon, and it not change your life

I sit down on the edge of the couch to put on my shoes. This has become one of my little rituals, as I lace up I give thanks to my feet for carrying me this far and pray that when I next unlace that the blisters may be few and the toenails still aplenty.

As I stand up Matilda bolts to the door in excitement, run time – you beauty!

This is the second time I would not be granting her wishes. Sorry darling, but not today I say as I quickly dart out the door.



As I close the gate behind me I see the curtains ruffle in the window as Matilda peers out at me with her forlorn eyes.

It breaks my heart every time.

I get off the train at Flinders Street and walk along the Yarra to the MCG. It is a beautiful morning and the sunrise is just spectacular.


There is a real buzz around the G and you can feel the excitement, and nerves, in the air. I find the bag drop and then head down to the start line.

I had intended to start with the 3:30 pacers where I knew a couple of the Milers would be, however as I got closer to the start line it became apparent that I should have arrived earlier.

It was packed, and the closest I could get was the 4:30 pacers.

As I was waiting for the start the little voice inside my head said,
‘Don’t worry Mojo you couldn’t have run with the 3:30 pacers, you haven’t trained for it, there is no way you can make the distance at that pace and remember what happened last time you ran too fast at the start... You blew up and had to walk!’

I had to admit the little voice had a good point and just as I decide to listen to it the big voice boomed in and said,
‘Give me a break Mojo... what do you think you have been doing for the last 10 months!? Having a vacation or something? No, you have been out there running marathons – 10 to be precise. So, don’t give me any of this lame I can’t do it bulls#!% and get fired up. When that gun goes off, so do you. Get yourself up to those pacers quick smart and don’t look back.’

I didn’t hear the start as the big voice was still bellowing in my brain, but next thing I knew we were off, and I was maneuvering my way through the masses to try and catch up to the 3:30 pacer bus.

The start was very congested, and it was hard to get going - in fact my first km was the slowest out of them all. But once the pack turned on to St Kilda Road I caught a glimpse of the 3:30 flag bobbing above the crowd - that then became my target.

I started to pick up the pace and with each step, I got closer.

It took me until Fitzroy St to finally catch the bus, but I was very happy to be there. Lisa and Nick were on it and I had hoped I would be able to run with both for at least part of the run.

I felt great as I settled into my target pace of 5 km/hr. My only concern was could I hold it?

We made the turn onto Beaconsfield Parade and as I did I started looking forward to seeing my friend Matt, who was hopefully waiting up ahead with a banana.

I am frequently asked, "What made you decide to run 12 marathons this year?"
To which my response is, it was just an idea that came into my mind last year and it wouldn’t go away. Although when I thought harder about it, I remembered that it was Matt who had inadvertently put the idea into my mind.

Last year he travelled to Kona to watch his mate compete in the Ironman and I remember being astonished that these athletes run a marathon after a 2.4-mile swim and 112-mile ride!

I wanted to learn more about their training and psyche, so I read a few blogs and that’s what inspired me to take on the challenge of running 12 in a year. I don't think I will ever be an Ironman, but given that the average age of one is 46, I won't completely rule it out just yet.

I accidentally mistook another spectator as Matt and got annoyed when not only did he not have a banana, but then didn't even acknowledge me as I ran past.

F@#! now, what am I going to do... I didn't bring any gels and the next banana man is 15km away!

Just as I was conjuring up plan B, I saw the real Matt up-ahead waving a banana at me. Boy was I happy to see him. He also had his camera and got some great actions shots - like the one below.



Bananas have been my food of choice on marathons ever since one saved me on my second marathon along the Great Ocean Road. The only problem is they are hard to carry, so I am always grateful for the marathons where I have the support and I can ask them to have a banana.

I prefer them over gels as they seem to give me an instant hit of energy, and they also make me feel happy.

The Melbourne Marathon loops back on itself several times, which I usually don’t like in a marathon, but this time it was great because it allowed me to see all the other Milers out running.

Although the Melbourne Marathon wasn’t part of my original plans, it is one of the main events for the Midday Milers. After running with them for a few months I decided that I wanted to be involved in this one as a lot were training for it. Although I wasn’t training in anyone’s stable I did get along to various training runs and the excitement in the air was always delightful and inspiring.

There were so many of us, and so many out supporting, that I could see why it was referred to as the Melbourne ‘Midday Miler’ Marathon.

At the 20 km mark, I saw JC, my second banana man, and he yelled out that he had my banana which made me smile.

JC is the first Miler that I met back in January when I first worked up the courage to run with them.

After the run, he sent me a message to see how I found the group. To which I replied it was great, a bit of a challenge, but that was what I was looking for.

I’ll never forget his response;

Looks like you will learn and grow a lot this year. You will be fitter and more enriched with friendships that may last for a very long time. Just relax and find yourself in the group and most importantly enjoy it.

It’s a special time.

You’ll see.

And that I did.

JC also informed me that I could be running a lot faster than my PB. On first hearing this I thought he was crazy, but sometimes in life, all you need is someone else to believe in you, and that’s when the magic happens.

Just as it did today.

At the 30 km point, I clearly remember the magic start - I believed for the first time in my life that I could run a 3:30.

She believed she could. And so she did

The next 5 km is a blur, it’s almost as if I went into a meditative state as I was so focused on keeping my pace.

Then out of nowhere, I was run over by the 3:30 bus. Unfortunately, my pace had started to slow and they overtook me in one fell swoop.

Just as I was losing sight of my 3:30 marathon I heard an enthusiastic spectator yell ‘Go, Zoe.’ I looked to my left and I saw my work colleague, Emma, jumping up and down. Her energy was enough to lift my spirits and give me a critical boost to get me home.

You’ve got this Mojo – the big voice said.

I lifted, and just as I was coming out of the second last water station I saw a group of Miler supporters, including JC and Hutz.

I remember looking down at my watch with disbelief and then pointing to it and shouting I am going to do it, I am going to run a 3:30.



The last 3 km were like flying. My legs had gone, but I was running with heart.

There was one final surprise at the last drinks station.

Brian from my local Parkrun was there and his cheer of ‘You Go Girl’ fired me up for a big finish into the G.

There is nothing quite like running onto the G, I must admit you feel like a bit of a hero, and I certainly speed up as I raced to the finish line.

Oh my goodness!!!

I did it, I ran a 3:30:34!



Something that at the beginning of the year I thought was impossible – I had just done.

It certainly was a special time and you could feel the magic in the air.

After the race, I met up with the Milers for a post-race celebration, and it was fantastic to hear of how well everyone had run. Especially, Elmo, it was her first marathon and she had smashed it.



What a fantastic day, this will certainly be a day to remember – the day I did the impossible.

Happy running x


Comments