parkrun

The clock ticks over... 6.59 -7.00. It is a Saturday morning so need to be up early for work, but I am. And the reason being, parkrun.

"Nothing makes me more proud than to see people coming together in healthy pursuits, building relationships and strengthening community. Communities were not my first thought when I started parkrun twelve years ago but it was definitely integral to the initial concept".
                                                                                               parkrun founder, Paul Sinton-Hewitt




At the beginning of this year I started playing AFL and it was through this that I was first introduced to parkrun. After our first  2 km time trial one of the girls mentioned parkrun to me and it sounded like a good opportunity to get fitter and faster so I registered myself, printed out my running barcode #DFYB and on Saturday 13th February I headed down to the Maribyrnong parkrun for my first attempt.

I arrived to see people congregating around a tree, all dressed in running clothes, so I knew I was in the right spot. Not long after arriving I spotted my new found football friend, Kirsten aka Red. We had a quick chat before the race brief started and we had to be quiet and huddle in closer to listen to the instructions. Because it was our first time we also got our 'first timers' run down on the course, what to expect and where to go. We moved over to the starting line while discussing how fast we thought we could run, funnily enough we both ended up running it in exactly the same time 24.04. I didn't know it at the time but this was to be the beginning of a wonderful new friendship. So Paul is spot on about parkrun building relationships.


Congratulations on completing your 21st parkrun and your 21st at Maribyrnong parkrun today. You finished in 14th place and were the 2nd female out of a field of 155 parkrunners and you came 2nd in your age category SW30-34. 
I also couldn't agree more with Paul's final point about parkrun 'strengthening community'. This morning marked my 21st parkrun and I really think what keeps me going back is that sense of belonging to something. The sense of belonging gets stronger with each run. I look forward to getting out there each Saturday morning and am genuinely disappointed if I cant go. But perhaps the best thing is that I can take Matilda with me and I am sure she loves it just as much as I do. She has become quite popular as a parkrun dog and always makes people laugh when she starts the run with her squeal of delight, a cross between a bark and whine, for the first 10 meters or so. Not to mention she is rather fast and the perfect running companion.





parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in. It doesn’t really matter about old or young, small or big, skinny or thick. It matters about fun. I love parkrun and if you haven't given it a go, please do yourself a favour and get down to your local run.

Happy running x

Comments