Yes I Can!

What’s stopping you from achieving your dreams? Like actually stopping you? Is it a fear of failure? An anxiety of what others might think? Or is it a feeling that nothing less than perfect will do? In a world full of unlimited opportunities, why do we allow ourselves to be held back by our own self-doubt?

One day earlier this year while I was out on a lunchtime lap of the tan, I noticed a group of impressive, red singlet wearing, runners galloping around the track. They looked good, like really good, and boy were they fast. I continued to see these runners fly past me on my daily runs and my interest into who they were began to grow.

One day I caught one going slow enough that I could just make out the white writing on their singlet, and it read ‘Melbourne Midday Milers.’

As soon as I got back to my desk I typed the words into my computer to find out just who these glorious red runners were. After a few minutes of browsing through their page, I was left with no doubt that this was one very impressive group. Even their website was impressive. I decided that it was not the group for me, and as I went to click the cross to close the page down, a funny thing happened.

ET The Hip Hop Preacher barged into my brain like only he could.
In his motivational preacher voice, he said to me,
"Mojo, you wanna know why you are not getting faster?
It’s because you are afraid to try.
You can’t expect a full harvest when you don’t put your best effort forward.
At some point in your life, you need to face your fears, and ask yourself what would it take to get from where I am now to where I want to be?
You need to look for people who are already where you want to be.
What’s holding you back?
You – not anyone else.
You are the executive director and screenwriter of your life, and we all can produce greatness in our lives.
All women are created equal, some work harder in the preseason. I am gonna say it again just so you got it.  ALL women are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
You quit before you even tried?
I am serious. You quit, and you ain't even tried yet.
You're not as fast as them.
You're right.
You ain't ever tried.
But I dare you to join them and see if you are not better by the end of the year.
You see Mojo - Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, or an hour, or a day or even a year. But, eventually, it will subside, and something else will take its place.
But if you quit... It will last forever!
At the end of pain is a success.
Mojo, its time to go to the next level.
You have to give it everything you got.
Stop being afraid, and get out there and be the best Running Mojo you can be."

And with that, I stood up, fist-pumped the air and yelled out "Damn straight ET."
Well... slight over exaggeration there, but I did click on the training schedule to find the next session I could attend, and I have never looked back!

Sure I am the slowest, but you know what? I am getting faster, and the best part of it all is now I am surrounded by amazing runners who inspire me to run even more. And the level of support and encouragement that I get has been overwhelming.

For example, just before the Gold Coast Marathon, I received a lovely message from JC wishing me good luck and letting me know that if I needed anything there would be plenty of them there to assist me.

The Gold Coast Marathon was great. I've finally nailed my pacing and I can truly say I enjoyed the whole run. The atmosphere was just fantastic and having a big contingent of Milers up there made for a great celebration after all the hard work was done. It was lovely to hear all of the race stories retold, and learn more about this running club. I felt re-inspired about running all over again.

I think the below words published by JC a few days after the GCM really hit the nail on the head,

"The Milers have evolved to be more than just a club, we are very much a family. We care for each other and our performances in our chosen sport. Milers wear the flag when they preform simply because it reflects upon our club and in turn each other...  in short, we as a team work better when we care about each other, we enhance ourselves as a team especially with our effectiveness and efficiency. We are focused on achieving P.B's.
Our Culture - the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of our little society is thriving.
Look after each other and remember it is about the journey, not the destination.
Run well everyone and be happy."

I have said it before many times, but I really am at my happiest when out running. And to find a group of people that I can share that with and who encourage me to be my best is like winning the lottery. I've found my running family :)

Yesterday I ran in Run Melbourne half marathon and guess what!?

I managed to take 1:15 of my PB, and it is all thanks to the Midday Milers.

So the next time you think you cant do something why don't you try saying 'Yes I can' instead, and see what happens.

Happy running x

Comments